- Please don't leave your dog unattended at shops - ask someone to stay with your pet.
- Be vigilant that thieves will grab dogs from owners on walks.
- Be aware that thieves will take pets from gardens. Consider installing CCTV.
- Beware of strangers taking an interest in your dog.
- Prepare images of your pets for immediate use if needed.
- Keep your dog close when you are in open spaces so they cannot be easily grabbed
- Inform anyone looking after your pets of your concerns. If your children are walking your dogs explain to them what could happen.
- Keep your microchip records up to date. As from 2016 it will be mandatory as part of the compulsory microchipping legislation.
- Never leave your dog unattended in a car.
- Don't share with strangers your dog's personal details.
- Register your dog on www.doglost.co.uk and hopefully you will never need to activate your account. Be sure to install the doglost app if you have an android phone or tablet.
- Whilst micro-chipping will not prevent a theft it will increase the chances of getting your pet or horse back.
- Ensure your horse passport photos are up to date.
- Visit your field at irregular hours - Don't follow routine
- Ensure gates are padlocked when not in use.
- Make notes of any suspicious vehicles in the area.
- Ensure your tack is security marked.
- Have photographs ready for instant use.
Please also, if you have not done so already, sign our petition by clicking on the following link:
We have also created a large graphic for you to share wherever you can online! Feel free to download this image to use on your website, facebook or blog - please share it as much as you can!